Design Your Data Model
Data is the lifeblood of modern marketing. With the rise of digital channels and the increasing importance of personalization, businesses need to collect, analyze, and use data more effectively than ever before. However, to get the most out of SFMC, businesses need to have effective data management practices in place.
Here are some reasons why data management is so important in SFMC:
- Accurate data is key : This is critical for ensuring that marketing messages are delivered to the right audience and that data-driven decisions are based on reliable information.
- Personalization requires relevant data: Effective personalization requires relevant and accurate data. By managing data effectively, businesses can create targeted and personalized marketing campaigns that resonate with their customers.
- Compliance is crucial: Effective data management is crucial for compliance with data privacy regulations such as GDPR and CCPA.
- Efficiency saves time and resources: Efficient data management helps businesses save time and resources. By automating data management tasks such as data cleansing and deduplication, businesses can reduce the time and effort required to maintain high-quality customer data. This allows them to focus on more strategic tasks such as campaign planning and analysis.
Checklist for designing potential data models (Data Sources & Data Extensions)
- Is it sendable? is checked, if needed
- Data retention is applied, if desired
- Data type is correct (especially for fields that will be used as foreign keys)
- Length is appropriate for data
- Primary key is selected, where appropriate
- Send relationship is set to the correct contact key
- Create a standard naming convention across platforms to help with consistency. For example, determine if you will use: Email Address or Email or EmailAddress.
- Deduplicate data before importing.
- Establish any email verification or validation systems that will be used before importing into Marketing Cloud.
Collect Data with a Send Log